Thursday, October 4, 2018

Postcard: A man without.

This card started very imagery first.  Sometimes I see an image that makes me think "oooh, I should try that."  When I read an article... or blogpost... or something about someone complaining about the style of ad depicting something breaking through the surface of the advertisement I thought "really?  I want to try that."  I mean, look at this bird, refusing to be held back.



So I started with Mister McSeriousFace.  He looks like he is repressing some things.  But what is he holding back?



People in a fire?



People in front of a door?



A nurse in front of the needy?




Boom!  Nurse wins.  The ad for the Staunton Military Academy has been floating around in my collage supplies for a while.  I feel like I remember my father taking about Staunton, or a word that sounds like Staunton.  I dunno, but it had that air of familiarity that I cut it out, assuming I would eventually find a use for it on a card for my parents.  This isn't a card for my parents, but the serious guy in the Staunton ad feels like a good repetition of Mister McSeriousFace.  "Or do without" was in my text folder, so I put it down without gluing it while I searched for a preceding companion.



A Life Magazine article about courtship provided me "why you should string your sweetheart along," or something close enough to it that I was able to pull "string your sweetheart along" from it.  Huzzah!  Implied narrative. 


No comments:

Post a Comment