Monday, October 8, 2018

Postcards: Inspiration Objects

I am not a hoarder.  I have a lot of stuff; it's my goal to follow after my parents and have a wizard's collection.  I want to have a library of knickknacks, curios, tools, art supplies, and books.  I am not a hoarder.  More of an eclectic lender.  I have a tackle box full of bric-a-brac for decoration, inspiration, and artistic reference.  I also have a drawer on the art desk filled with stamps and trinkets.  From all these doodads I pulled a rock, a key, a matchbox, a compass, at ticket, and a... blueish thing.  Thus a postcard began.

I really wanted to have another crack at a postcard without heavy black outlines.  I still used pencil for suggesting boundaries, but I attempted to let the watercolors do the bulk of the work.





The letters were a pain-in-the-ass, but they were legitimately outlined in black; I did not consider using a marker to be cheating. 



I also used a fountain pen with translucent grey ink add in some details.


 




To finish things off, I relied more heavily on my pens, including a white gel pen.






Bonus Round:  The Reference



Though actually after making sure this setup worked, I painted each object separately, often moving the object and the paper around in relation to myself and the light-source.

1 comment:

  1. Rob, this is Aunt Patsy. Nolamcgabe is an online game name. I use it as my gmail address for things online. If you fin yourself on the east coast I could fill a trunk with bro a brac for you ��.

    ReplyDelete