Monday, December 11, 2017

Postcards: Studying

I continue be inspired by, or even, dare I admit, envious of other artists, but I often fail to review my inspirations.  I don't immerse myself in art the way that I should.  Before working on this card, I took a quick minute to browse the work of Nick Bantock and Dave McKean.  I've yet to ever achieve their depth, but it's good to keep in the back of my mind.

I started with the map of Madison.  I liked the way the locations on the map came across as stars, so I cut away the lakes.  For contrast, I glued down a page of The Farmer's Almanac about The Great Lakes weather region, and then layered the isthmus over it.




The glossy saturated map over the cheap newsprint created too much contrast for receiving a foreground;  I attempted to reduce the contrast by gluing tracing paper over the whole image.




Throw in some nautical stamps, and you've got yourself a postcard.  It doesn't have that haunted aura that I'm looking for, but it's closer than I normally get.



No comments:

Post a Comment