Thursday, June 7, 2018

Postcards: Dagny's Pet Moth

Dagny found two cocoons.  When the first one hatched, it was a male polyphemus.  She posted this picture of it on her hand, which I used as my primary reference.




As usual (but not always), I began with just trying to make sure it all fit on the card.






That looked pretty good. I know things always move around a bit as I add color; might as well start laying down some paint.







The background in the primary reference photo looks good in the photo, but I was not confident I could lay down my greys in a way that looked good.  To add a little interest, I went with a background inspired by the next photo she posted of the moth.  Here the translucency of the wings is apparent, but I don't think I have the skills yet to pull it off.  







It was at this point I asked myself why I had decided to draw in the screen.



No comments:

Post a Comment