Monday, August 14, 2017

Barista Powers: Demon Days

Context, yo.  Lucy Bellwood "started exploring a series of illustrated dialogues between" herself and "a small, obnoxious character who had a lot of big ideas about everything" Lucy "was supposedly doing wrong" in her life. 

"Sharing these illustrations induced a particular kind of catharsis: it turned out most everyone I knew was struggling with feelings of imposter syndrome and anxiety. Externalizing these conversations and giving them a humorous twist often enabled me to overcome my self-doubt and get on with the exciting business of Making Good Art—and it seemed to help other people do the same."

I am one of those people!  My own characters give me a hard time about my art, but now I also have someone else's character to give me a hard time!  Who doesn't love options?  I immediately imagined being interviewed by Lucy's demon.










Lucy liked my comic, which is intensely satisfying.  Nothing kicks that impostor anxiety into gear like using elements from another artist. 



3 comments: