Thursday, July 19, 2018

Postcards: Those Shelters

Once cut, unused collage parts travel from card to card until they find a home.  I cut out this building for another card, but it ended up not working (I was trying to cover a waterfall, or something).  So I just had a building with holes in it.  What to do?





I found a dramatic face, and cut it out and cut it down to postcard dimensions.  So then I had the lady from Hereditary, the holey building, and a bomber from another card.




It is here we jump briefly aside to share that I grew up with books from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.  Not that I necessarily read them, but I became familiar with their covers as I flipped through my parents' books over and over again in that way that you do when you're restless but aren't sure you want to read anything.  I think those images, often surreal and sensationalist, really influenced an avenue of my art.  Not all of it, clearly.  The Fallout games have driven a great deal of my recent collage, and I like a million other things, but before we go on, look at these.










So, I had my building, my bomber, and my face.  What to do?

Lay down the bomber at the top of the card first.  Even if it gets mostly covered, neither the face nor the building reach to the top of the postcard.  Build on top of the bomber.




I liked the paperback sci-fi feel.  It was time to try on some words.



I liked The Literature Police, but it felt... sparse?  It either needed to be replaced or it needed a tag line.


Ominous!

I tried for the words mimicking the pattern of the floors of the building, leading you down to the most prominent eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment