Thursday, August 9, 2018

Postcards: Frith and El-Ahrairah

Have I posted my collaboration with Maggie yet?  I don't think I have.  But know that it inspired me to want to practice my banners.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

I love Coyote.  His style in Gunnerkrigg Court reminds me of The Blessing of El-Ahrairah in the movie Watership Down (whose influence has crept into my work before). I was inspired to make two cards, one of Coyote and one of Watership Down. So I found a suitable image, and got to work.






Then Frith felt himself in friendship with El-ahrairah, because of his resourcefulness, and because he would not give up even when he thought the fox and the weasel were coming. And he said, "Very well, I will bless your bottom as it sticks out of the hole. Bottom, be strength and warning and speed forever and save the life of your master. Be it so!". And as he spoke, El-ahrairah's tail grew shining white and flashed like a star; and his back legs grew long and powerful and he thumped the hillside until the very beetles fell off the grass stems. He came out of the hole and tore across the hill faster than any creature in the world. And Frith called after him, "El-ahrairah, your people cannot rule the world, for I will not have it so. All the world will be your enemy, Prince With A Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."







No comments:

Post a Comment