Friday, October 20, 2017

Postcards: Sort of not postcards

You remember the Shigir Idol, right?  I have a tiny sculpture of the Shigir Idol... sprouting tentacles?  being consumed by eldritch horrors?  I'm not sure really, but it was good practice for drawing without outlines.




The simple form of the Shigir Idol inspired me to look through other early sculptures in search of forms that I could adapt using the same technique.  The Idol of Pomos was perfect for what I wanted to practice. 




My buddy Neal said he really liked the postcard I made; he said I should trying making a larger version.  I then attempted to redraw my 4x6 Idol of Pomos as a 5x7.  It did not go 100% smoothly.




Not terrible, but not satisfying.  I went at it again, using watercolors instead of inks.




Perfect?  No.  But I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment