Thursday, August 15, 2019

Postcards: The Gazelle and The Lion

In my Instagram art reference collection I found these animals playing a board game.




Pretty cool, right?  It has a bit of an illuminated manuscript feel to it, to me.  I like the texture and the earth tones.

It felt both like something I could draw and like something not specifically my style, so I went for it.




Are you wondering about that cloud of pencil lines across from the gazelle?  That's the remains of a wasp I thought was unsuccessful. 


I did not feel like I had the skill to make it clear that parts of the legs were below the water level.  Drawing something floating is hard.

So I abandoned it, erased it, and used the card for Gazelle and Lion card.




I think I only used three colors beyond white and black.  Maybe four; I might have used two yellows.  Since part of the appeal of the inspiration image was the earth tones, I stuck to brown, red, and yellow.







Okay, so I lied a little bit.  I forgot about the grey along the bottom, and I was not counting the ink I used for the texturing.  The grey is an earth tone, I would argue, and the ink was brown.  I was basically not lying, and it got you to keep the tones in mind as you watched me build up the image.

Next up, as I usually do I started seeing if I could work stamps into the layout.  I sent Jen the following two images and asked for her advice.





Her advice boiled down to "odd > even."  I went with a three stamp approach, and used the numbers to sneak in a Cincinnati shout-out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment