Monday, August 26, 2019

Postcards: Learning about Patterns

Hello, friends!  This week is crazy enough I don't what, if anything, I'll get done between here and mid-September.  Just bear with me, and who knows, maybe you'll get the delightful surprise of regular posts.  Maybe I'll collapse into a shivering ball of anxiety.  Who can say what the future holds!

In keeping with the recent theme, I saw Tanya Heidrich's work on Instagram and saved it to think about later.  Tanya is a black & white illustrator and pattern designer.  They posted the half finished pattern below, allowing me to piece together roughly how I could achieve similar results.




Feeling like I had the basic idea, I got to work laying down some pencil guidelines.  I went with a vaguely face shaped pattern in the center, and then I inked it up.



The pattern is alternating simple squares and beveled tiles.  Or at least that's the best way I have of describing it without just drawing it in front of you.



I went with a pretty simple white/hatched/black pattern, but I am thinking of revisiting this pattern with different hatching styles and maybe some color.



No comments:

Post a Comment