Monday, August 12, 2019

Postcards: Honey Bee

Instagram has been very useful for me as a tool to store references.  I know I could use Pinterest.  I have a Pinterest account; I almost never use it.  It is just not in my brain as one of my processes.  So I use Instagram.  I post almost daily; it's part of my routine.  I am not organized enough to keep my reference saved into anything other than one big pile, but at least I have that pile.

In my pile of art-to-look-at-later, was this bee.



I like it.  It does not look like a bee, but it has style.  I am still in a phase of trying to make art that does not look like I made it, so an ancient wall painting seemed like a good place to start.





So there's a bee.  I mucked about with it a little already; it is my nature.  Part of my original attraction to the piece, I think, was the texture.  This is a very white postcard.  I need it to not be such a white postcard.




Texture is building, but the card is still sparse.  I tried sneaking in a bit of map and a bronze artifact.



So the texturing brought the three elements together while also just flattening the whole thing out.  Dammit.  I thought I could either try to build the bee back up to the forefront, or just keep throwing on elements to see what happens.  You can probably guess what I went with.





Dammit.


Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment